Thursday, July 29, 2010

I Samuel 16: 7
The Lord does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.

The other day my daughter lost her one-month old new phone in the cinema. She had to get another phone to replace the lost one and her budget was not more than $60 (she was prepared to buy an old phone). I went with her to the nearby phone shops and was pleasantly surprised to find out that Nokia sells brand new first generation hand phone which carries basic functions (no colour & warranty).
The first shop we went, we were served by a quiet man about 60 plus year old. He quoted $45 for the phone. We went to a nearby shop, the salesman asked $48 for the same phone. My daughter decided to buy from him even though it cost $3 more. She could have just gone back to the first shop but she chose otherwise. She was willing to pay more because this young sales guy has better look and talked well. This is opposite of me, where how much I paid matters most.
It seems to me that it does pay to employ a good-looking person who talks well to generate better income for a business. This is a showcase of our human weakness. We are enticed by responses of our human senses which can cloud our logical thinking. I ask myself, will the next generation Singaporeans (my children and their peers) make choices on critical issues such as life partners and national leadership based on objective criteria such as integrity, loyalty? For my generation, the fact that bulk of our current leaders does not have pretty faces is a great comfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment