Thursday, February 10, 2011

Where is the magic feeling of CNY?

“You may say to yourself, my power and the strength of my hands have produced this wealth for me. But remember the Lord your God, for it is He who gives you the ability to produce wealth.” (Deuteronomy 8:17-18)

CNY comes and goes. Unless we made efforts to observe the traditional practices (not the superstitious ones), it looks increasingly just like another 'ordinary' public holiday.

With the affluence society we are now in, the treats we used to enjoy are now almost all are available throughout the year. We buy CNY goodies instead of making them ourselves and some of us preferred to dine out for reunion dinners (most expensive one at S$8888 per table based on newspaper report) or even went off for an overseas break instead. No wonder we are less excited with CNY with each passing year!

I still remember in my childhood days it was only during CNY that I got new clothes to wear (made by my elder sisters). My sisters also made CNY stuff like cup cakes and love letters. We also had a chance to eat better food such as chicken, pork and prawns during this period. With the red packets we collected, we could treat ourselves with movies, amusement rides and played fireworks. Although we spent a great deal of time preparing our reunion dinner, we enjoyed it very much as we had the opportunity to savour the best dishes prepared by my mother.

For me, I am not in favour of having reunion dinner at the restaurant. Firstly, one does not get the value for money by paying so much for the dinner. The other thing is that it is difficult to mingle and interact with one another and you have to leave the place soon after finished eating. At home, we can chit chat, play games, singing etc late into the night. If cooking is too time-consuming, one can always get a caterer to deliver food to his doorstep.

No comments:

Post a Comment