Thursday, February 24, 2011

Making sense to sufferings

“Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him.” (James 1:12)
“Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.” ( I Thessalonians 5:16-18)


Before Christmas last year I received a book gift from a close relative. It is written in Chinese by a Christian doctor sharing his experiences he had with his cancer patients. It also includes articles written by patients themselves and their caretakers. Although as a Christian, death itself is nothing to be fearful (rather than the pains) as my hope is in heavenly place, I just couldn’t help but depressed after finished reading the book. If the book has been given to me at the onset of my treatment 2 years ago, I probably wouldn’t have the courage to even open the book cover, let alone finished reading it.

The saddest account is from a devoted Christian lady who was in her late 30s, a non-smoker with 2 young children, contracted last stage of lung cancer after few months of coughing that didn’t go away. The book also gives detailed accounts of the harsh medical treatments, pains, and sufferings these cancer patients went through.

There is this universal notion that a good life ends in a good death but our observations from our daily lives seemed that the reverse is more true. We just cannot ignore, suppress or deny such feelings. As a Christian, I also have these spiritual perplexities to grip with as one cannot understand immediately the things that God does or allows. Many a times in fact God works things out in a manner exactly opposite to the way we think He should. To our non-Christian friends and relatives, our God seems to be unfair and unkind. But God’s mind is not like our minds and we cannot never fully understand His ways and purposes. He has the final say in any situation.When we truly accept these fundamental principles, this would save us from many spiritual struggles we have in life.

Those of you who followed my blog from the beginning would have read my account of the sufferings I went through from late October 2008 to early May 2009, with 20 weekly chemo treatments and 2 big operations. Before I read this book, I have this idea that the trial I went through is unique and very painful. Now that I read this book, I begin to see that this is not true as I felt as though I rubbed shoulders with these people mentioned therein who suffered even more extremely painful experiences - experiences more distressing than I have ever faced. Yet they still continue to sing God's praises despite suffered the ravages of cancer. Yes, others have also gone through what I have gone through and even more, so the knowledge of this helps me to understand and cope better with my own sufferings. It also makes me a stronger person.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad reading the sufferings of others in a book has made you a stronger person. I always believe that NO man is an island. We cannot survive on our own and we need each other, even in suffering and pain so as to affirm or encourage us to press on. As such I am sure you heard of group therapy whereby people who have undergone the same experience get together on a regular basis to share what they have gone through - there are groups for widows, parents who have lost their children, cancer survivors, (most commonly breast cancer) caregivers - all of which I am sure you have heard of. The meeting and sharing has therapeutic effect of encouraging a person and helping the person to recover at a faster rate. In the process of meeting, relationships are formed and the person may even learn to give and care for others. I am sugggesting that this may be an avenue for you to get out of your home and meet others, thereby strengthening and changing your character.

    ReplyDelete