Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Bold prayers

Jabez cried out to the God of Israel, saying.”Oh, that you would bless me and enlarge my territory! Let your Hand be with me, and keep me from harm so that I will be free from pain.” And God granted his request. ( I Chronicles 4:10)

My close friend, Fiona, wrote a very thoughtful comment on my recent posting `Routine cancer marker blood test’. On reflection, I shouldn’t be saying ‘thank God for granting me another 3 months to live’ which sounds like God’s grace is finite. What I really mean is that by His mercy, I should be still living till I go again for blood test after Chinese New Year.

It is true that I have been much disciplined on my diets (probably due to my upbringing) and my spiritual health has also improved. However, I am still weak on emotional and psychological aspects which are not so easy to overcome as they have to do with one’s temperament. Many a times I cannot detach myself from situations and people around me, and I become too emotional and ‘teary’. I am also a person who can become panic or fearful easily. Hence, I really need God to give me divine strength in these areas.

May be I have to be more 'daring' in asking for God’s blessings. This reminds me of the above prayer by Jabez who openly asked God to bless him. Everybody struggles each day with choosing to rely on himself or God. Life is a growing process and we cannot run away from making these choices. Pray bold prayers to God are what I need now.

No comments:

Post a Comment