Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Arthritis

 I have been experiencing symptoms of arthritis for the last two months, primarily the joints of right fingers and around left ankle region. The physiotherapist I had been referred to advise me to do some simple joint exercises to minimize the impacts. Heard that acupuncture and Chinese massages may ease the pains but my TCM physician advised me not to unless the pains are unbearable since I have not survived cancer for five years. The rationale behind is that such ‘activities’ may stimulate the growth and migration of cancer cells.

Arthritis symptoms can be joint pain, swelling, stiffness of joints especially in the mornings, feeling of warmth or redness around a joint, sensitive to cold weather. There are two common types of arthritis: Osteoarthritis, which can be described as ‘wear and tear’, and Rheumatoid Arthritis which is a disease process that can affect the whole body. The disease can begin at any age and even affects children.

There is the belief that nightshades vegetables and soya products can worsen arthritis conditions but this is based merely on personal experiences of certain people without scientific evidences. Examples of these vegetables are capsicum, eggplant, potato and tomato. Foods that may help include turmeric, ginger, virgin oil, and oily fish. My mother used to tell us not to take too much long beans, egg plants and lady fingers for they can cause ‘winds’ in the body and weaken joints. There is also the genetic factor in play. My close friend who is younger than me has severe knee pain problem that warrants knee operation.

No comments:

Post a Comment