Thursday, August 9, 2012

A Reflection - Olympics


Each time when I watched the ways the Olympics athletes competing for medals, I just could not help but asked myself : is it worthwhile for these people to make great sacrifices just to attain that most glorious moment in their lives. That dream comes at a very huge price, considering the long hours of punitive training they underwent. They are also cut off from the social life. They pushed their physical bodies to the limits. What more, they traded their youth for that temporal honour.

I think the lyrics of the 1996 Olympics theme song,"Reach",  by Gloria Estefan aptly captured the aspirations of these athletes:

Some dreams live on in time...for-ever
Those dreams... you want with all your heart
So I'll do whatever it takes
Follow through with the promise I made
Put it all on the line what I hoped for at last would be mine!

If I could reach,higher
Just for one moment touch the sky
From that one moment in my life
I'm gonna be... stronger!
Know that I've tried my very best
Put my spirit to the test
If I could reach...

Some days are meant to be remembered
Those days we rise above the stars
So I'll go the distance this time
Seeing more the higher I climb
That the more I believe, all the more that this dream will be mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment