Tuesday, October 25, 2011

An Inspring Meditation Note

‘…clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.’ (Colossians 3:12-13)


Cary Grant was a famous actor and superstar in 1940s to 1960s, with debonair demeanor and dashing good look. It was said that at the end of each performance he would always read a meditation note, jokingly said that he didn’t know who wrote it but it expressed his feelings about life:

Now LORD, you’ve known me a long time. You know me better than I know myself. You know that each day I am growing older and someday may even be very old, so meanwhile please keep me from the habit of thinking I must say something on every subject and on every occasion.

• Release me from trying to straighten out everyone’s affairs. Make me thoughtful but not moody, helpful but not overbearing. I’ve a certain amount of knowledge to share, still it would be very nice to have a few friends who, at the end, recognized and forgave the knowledge I lacked.

• Keep my tongue free from the recital of endless details. Seal my lips on my aches and pains: They increase daily and the need to speak of them becomes almost a compulsion. I ask for grace enough to listen to the retelling of others’ afflictions, and to be helped to endure them with patience.

• I would like to have an improved memory, but I’ll settle for growing humility and an ability to capitulate when my memory clashes with the memory of others. Teach me the glorious lesson that on some occasions, I may be mistaken.

• Keep me reasonably kind; I’ve never aspired to be a saint, saints must be rather difficult to live with yet, on the other hand, an embittered old person is a constant burden.

• Please give me the ability to see good in unlikely places and talents in unexpected people. And give me the grace to tell them so, dear LORD.

Cary Grant’s meditation note is so humble, balanced and focused. There are so many areas in our lives that call for our silence, love, graciousness, kind, thoughtfulness. I bet we can find at least one.

No comments:

Post a Comment