Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Confession of sin

‘Woe to the world because of the things that cause people to sin! Such things must come, but woe to the man through whom they come!’ (Matthew 18:7)

‘You rebuke and discipline men for their sin; you consume their wealth like a moth – each man is but a breath.’ (Psalm 39:11)


Sin is described in the Bible as transgression of the law of God, and rebellion against God. The world’s definition probably means any immoral action. Regardless of one’s religion background, we all have to acknowledge our innate nature is sinful.

Dealing with our sins without conviction does not bring about real changes in us. I read with interest that in Las Vegas, they have this ‘call-in confession line’. Any person can ring (up to 3 minutes) to confess his sins to this recording machine for US$9. If one wants to hear others’ confessions, he has to pay US$18 for that. The business is thriving because it does away with embarrassment a person may experience from confessing ‘face-to-face’.

We know that this is not a serious way of dealing with the problem. Without committing to forsake our sins with divine help, we cannot break away from any persistent pattern of sinning as there is no regenerating of mind taking place. As a volunteer instructor for the ex-drug offenders, I can truly feel their pains and cries for deliverance from the bondage of sin as they shared through their lessons.

Below are excerpts of some of these confessions from their contrite hearts:-

‘Our heavenly Father, please rescue me from my drug addiction. With my own effort I have failed so many times. Without your support I am weak in front of my foe. Let me hold on to Your mighty hand. Let me cling on to Your glorious feet. I will be strong to confront my enemies. Away from me my deceitful friend. I have my Lord with me. Never again will I need your company. With my Lord I have everything. Amen.’

‘Father in heaven, always I fall into sin easily. Please help me to have Your sword, Your Word, to defend myself. I want to surrender my worries and problem to you. Almighty God, please take me to you and transform a person you want me to be.’

‘God is faithful. His promise to me will never fail. When I fail and falls into the wrong track, it is my foolishness. It is my sinful nature at work. I have been shortsighted and indulge in temporary, meaningless pleasure. God has shown me the right way. God has warned me but I failed God. But our loving God is patient. He is always watching and waiting. Like a good shepherd He will carry me back to His flock when I cry out to Him.’

‘God is always and will be always faithful, no matter how many times I fail, as long as I learned my mistakes and pray to God for strength and forgiveness and repent, and God will forgive me. God is today, tomorrow and forever with me. Nothing can separate me from the love of God.’

No comments:

Post a Comment