Friday, March 18, 2011

Cancer support group

“When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought joy to my soul.” (Psalm 94:19)


My close friend, Fiona, has been encouraging me to join a cancer support group lately so that I can get out of the house, meet people and make friends. Really appreciate her thought and suggestion. I know in the west there are many of such groups but not so in Singapore. Probably the most prominent one is that of breast cancer support group but none for ovarian cancer so far as it is not a common cancer among women.

For each cancer patient, no two persons will travel the same journey during and after cancer treatment. I do believe such support groups may have therapeutic impacts on some people, but I am not sure about myself. Will I be the type of person who can relieve burden by talking to like-minded people about fears, death, relapses? Will others who are of different faiths share the same views as me on this pilgrimage on earth? I am afraid that instead of achieving the goals of maintaining a positive outlook on life and being optimistic, I am troubled and disturbed by what I hear, see and read, being melancholic and introvert by nature.

Currently, I do get emotional support and care from close friends and relatives, which are as important as physical care. These seem to be sufficient for me for the time being, which makes my cancer journey easier.I am more comfortable to share my cancer experiences through my blog as it takes away the emotional part if I would to do it through face-to-face. Of course, my spiritual revival has also helped me to stay on course.

No comments:

Post a Comment