Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Preventing cancer

“Teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain a heart of wisdom.” (Psalm 90:12)
Some years ago near my workplace, I noticed there was always long queue at this particular stall which sold fried Bee Hoon (rice e Vermicelli) in the morning. I tried it myself and indeed it tasted very different from other stalls. Then I noticed sometimes inside the Bee Hoon which helped to explain its ‘unique’ taste- it was fried with Narcissus brand Stew Pork! Since then I had not patronise that stall again.
I guess just like everyone else, if not for my health conditions, I probably won’t be so disciplined in my eating habits and willing to go for so simple and plain diets. On the other hand, from what I read and learnt from those health talks, the greatest challenge in our attempt to stay healthy today is what goes into our stomach, the food. Here are some tips from the health experts:

• grilled /burnt food–nitrates from burnt food can cause oesophagus and stomach cancer

• processed food & red meat – associated with bowel, breast and stomach cancer

• food preservatives – look out for the food labels, most refrigerated fruit juices comes with preservatives. Preservatives contained chemicals and can weaken one’s immune system

• salted/preserved food – chemical changes in the food can cause cancer

• drink one big glass of water when wake up is good for our bowel, liver & kidney

• at least 3.5 hours per week of physical activities- cancer cells hate oxygen

• maintain healthy body weight of not more than 30kg/m2

• positive mental and emotional health

There are at least 20 types of cancer and they can occur in any part of our body. Recently I heard from someone that his friend has ribcage cancer. The causes of some of them are unknown. Factors like genetic predisposition are beyond our control. Well, God still has the final say in our life spans.

No comments:

Post a Comment