Tuesday, November 29, 2011

My PSLE student

“Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God.” (Hebrew 13:16)

Last Thursday I was so thrilled to receive news that my student whom I offered help in her PSLE exam, had performed far beyond our expectation. She managed to get all As and qualified for Express stream as well as get to choose a better neighbourhood secondary school.

I came to know this student from her aunt around mid-August that she was in great need of help in her study. She comes from a broken family without adequate adult supervision. The fact that she is living nearby and my healthy blood test result made it possible for me to volunteer in this task, giving her tuition two or three times a week. Initially it was very difficult and frustrated because she is too quiet and not so responsive. The thought that my best effort could get unappreciated by a not so motivated student kept creeping into my mind. I was also running out of time to help her given that the PSLE exam was only two and a half- month away. On top of that, no proper filing for school works was done by her to enable me to start with.

In the end, I found out by chance that my student actually had one stack of past year Top School PSLE exam papers which were still unpacked! I began to get down to work on them with her intensively. Based on my past experiences, such past exam papers do help students in some ways to do better if used appropriately. It is no wonder that these papers are so sought after by parents!

My prayer was that she could gain at least seven to ten points so that she could cross over from her normal score of low 60s to low 70s at least. I began to sieve through her strength and weaknesses, and to save the precious time, made her practiced only those areas that she was weak in. As days went back, things got better and my student also gradually opened herself up. Perseverance and hard work finally paid off with God's blessing. She managed to cross the 75 mark! It was such a joy to receive my student’s ‘Thank you’ card personally made by her. This great sense of fulfillment is one that beyond words can possibly express. I am thankful to God for sustaining me throughout this period with stable health to accomplish this task of helping someone in need. Truly it is more blessed to give than to receive.

1 comment:

  1. Your sharing of how you helped a PSLE student is truly a testimony of your character and the desire to help others. I hope you'll continue to have this desire to help the less fortunate in your small ways, as in doing so, you're serving Him 'to do good'. May I encourage you to take on more of such good deeds for in doing so, you think less of yourself and more of others. It is only in giving to others that we receive - by 'receive' I interpret it as the joy you experienced. I addition, it also builds your character to be less self-centred, more patient and more sensitive to the needs of others in our society. As you initially struggled to help this pupil, you had your doubts and uncertainties but let me assure you that it is all part of the experience of helping and giving to others. We cannot do with our own effort, we need God to give us His immeasurable strength and great wisdom.

    On the flipside, should you continue to tutor, you may encounter pupils who may not perform well despite your hard work in coaching or who turn out to be unappreciative and ungrateful. Let it not be a discouragement to you but turn your eyes upon Jesus and know that you're serving Him, not man.

    I would like to encourage to help others in the way that you did for you'll reap your harvest bountifully. I share this from personal experience.

    ReplyDelete