Wednesday, July 20, 2011

'Cancer cure' remedies

“In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps.’ (Proverbs 16:9)

As a cancer patient, I always receive e-mails from concerned friends and relatives on ‘ideas’ how to fight cancer. These so-called ‘advices’ come almost entirely from the internet source. Instead of finding them helpful, at times it can be a stress to me as these ‘remedies’ tend to be contradicting and confusing.

It is very common for some of them making exaggerated claims, alongside with many ‘testimonials’ to substantiate them. Having sieved through such information for the past two years or so, I have become ‘wiser’ not to take things at face value. Nowadays anyone can put up a website promoting such ‘cancer-cure’ remedies. When they are just too ‘good’ to be true, that is when one’s discernment comes in.

I can understand why most cancer patients are hungry for such information as they want to be cured, even at a huge cost. They would probably try anything, hopefully it works on them. Sometimes we become so easy to believe that we are vulnerable to be manipulated. From the psychology of a cancer patient, his fear of unknown can easily re-enacted in his mind by what he saw, read or heard. Last week, I went for my annual flu jab at a neighbourhood clinic. I was reminded of the gravity of my illness when the doctor (a locum) reiterated to me that ovary cancer is a very vicious one, and the probability of relapse is extremely high. My heart turned heavier by his discouraging words, though they are true in every medical sense.

To me, there is a limit as to how much a cancer patient can do to his condition. He must be mindful that he is not fighting an illness, but a cell mutation disorder. In this aspect, preventing cancer is easier than fighting it. May be striving to live like a normal person, relax, and enjoy eating anything healthy under the sun, is a better remedy. The rest is in God's hand.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you have come to believe that as a cancer patient,you should just relax, enjoy and eat anything healthy under the sun. You came to this conclusion despite what the doctor you saw for your flu jab said - he was insensitive and discouraging. He's probably unsympathetic as well for instead of encouraging you to strive on, he gave you bad news! In future, please ignore such people for they probably have low EQ. On the other hand, there are well-meaning people would share all kinds of remedies with out of their love for you. I am glad you realised you need to exercise discernment where these remedies are concerned. The internet is a vast source of information, so we need to ask God to help us sieve such information for our good and well-being. Lately I've receiving a spate of information concerning the value of fruits and vegetables, including the humble onion & lemon - almost all of which are anti-cancer, containing anti-oxidant. Am I supposed to conclude that I've not got cancer because i've been taking these almost every week?

    ReplyDelete