Saturday, October 16, 2010

“Do not say, ‘We have found wisdom; let God refute him, not man." (Job 32:13)


I read from articles on cancer and almost all give the same advice- stay away from sweet things because cancer cells love to feed on glucose. In fact, one of the methods used for tumour diagnosis is PET scan (which cost $4-5k per scan) where patient is injected with radioactive glucose into his body so that tumours can be identified. For that reason, I am very careful on food that have high glycemic index (G.I.).

Different carbohydrates behaved differently in our bodies. Glycemic index basically ranked carbohydrates according to the effects they have on our blood sugar levels. Food that are high in such index mean that they are easily digested and absorbed into our bodies, as a result, lead to a rapid rise in our blood sugar levels.

We always think food high in glycemic index is mainly western items like waffles, cornflakes. To my surprise, even some fruits like watermelon and pineapple have very high G.I.. Some of these fruits’ G.I. are as follows:

Watermelon – 72 (high)
Pineapple – 66 (high)
Cherries – 22 (low)
Kiwi – 53 (medium)
Banana -55 (medium)
Mangoes – 57 (medium)


I couldn’t find the G.I. for dragon fruit. It is originated from Vietnam and becomes popular in Taiwan when some researchers found its G.I. level is low. There, many Taiwanese diabetes patients use dragon fruits as a substitute for rice. There are big dragon fruit farms along Batu Pahat and Kluang, Johore. The one with red flesh inside is very juicy and taste great, but quite expensive. It can cost as much as more than $3 each.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this interesting information on GI. I never even thought about GI when I consume fruits, because fruits are associated with fibre and vitamins always. I'm not surprised watermelon has high GI but not pineapple. I've substituted pineapple for papaya nowadays because there seems to be a scarcity of the fruit. Pineapple is known for its fibre and all kinds of vitamins. By the way I've personally visited the dragon fruit farm at Kluang and bought the lovely tasty dragon fruits. Now that you've told me the nutrition these fruits provide, I am glad I bought a whole lot of them!

    ReplyDelete