Monday, July 22, 2013

'Letters to God'

‘And calling to him a child, he put him in the midst of them and said, “Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. (Matthew 18:2-4)
There is no denial that as we entered adulthood, our worldview change. We think that we are pretty self-sufficient, especially when everything is going in our favor. We acquired more knowledge but unfortunately mistaken it as wisdom.  The more we know, the more we become skeptical and cynical.
Little children have no such hang-up like we adults. They are very impressionable. Here are some examples of their ‘letters to God’:
   ‘Dear God, I would like to live nine hundred years like the guy in the Bible.’
  • ‘Dear God, We read that Thomas Edison made light, but in Sunday school they said you did. So I bet he stole your idea.’
  • ‘Dear God, if you give me a genie lamp, I will give you everything I have except my money and my chess set.’
  • ‘Dear God, Please send xxxxxx to different camp this year.’
  • ‘Dear God, May be Cain & Abel would not kill so much if they have their own rooms. It works with my brother and me.’
  • ‘Dear God, Please put another holiday between Christmas and Easter. There is nothing good in them now.’
  • ‘Dear God, Instead of letting people died & having to make new ones, why don’t you just keep the ones you have now?’
  • ‘Dear God, I went to this wedding and they kissed in the church. Is it OK?’
  • ‘Dear God, I’m American. What are you?’
  • ‘Dear God, Thanks for a baby brother, but what I am praying is a puppy.’
  • ‘Dear God, I bet it is very hard for you to love all and everybody in the whole world. There are only four people in our family. I can never do that.’
  • Dear God, I would like to live nine hundred years like the guy in the Bible.'

No comments:

Post a Comment