Thursday, May 17, 2012

Participate in the life of next generation

‘Behold, children are a heritage from the LORD, the fruit of the womb a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one’s youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them! He shall not be put to shame when he speaks with his enemies in the gate.’ (Psalms 127:3-5)

Parents today find it a challenge to participate personally in the life of next generation. Our children spent more of their waking hours in schools than at homes. Table talk undoubtedly is good for our body, mind and soul, but it has becoming increasing difficult to come by. Effort to have all family members having dinner together seems a daunting task, let alone breakfast with each other.

Today’s social and physical environment promotes separate bedrooms for parents and children. TV and computers can separate us in a non-physical way. When I was young, we were not allowed to shut our bedroom’s door other than changing clothes! I vividly remember the fun time we had, chatting with one another right through the night. Now though I am a home maker, I still find hard to ‘break-in’ the world of in my children. Sometimes I ask myself are the kids clanged on to us because they still need our financial support. May be in their hearts they think like most of their peers: “my parents give me too many boundaries”, “my parents always claim that they tell me No for my own good but I don’t believe it.”, or “my parents are so out of touch with my world”.

While, it is still better to make efforts to bridge the gap between us as parents and our children than do nothing about it. For my family, we try to have at least weekend dinner together at home, or once a month eating out (try not to have it at a food court as it is noisy and people are waiting for your seats!). A family dinner offers opportunity to fosters bonds and impart right values. However, it is important to observe some rules during meal time: no using of phone, no fast food, not to lecture or discipline.

No comments:

Post a Comment