Thursday, December 8, 2011

Family holiday

”Not that I (Apostle Paul) am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need.” (Philippians 4:11-12)


Last week my family went to Taipei for a one week free-and-easy holiday. This is the first time for them to venture out to a distant country without me. Thank God that the trip turned out generally quite pleasant with only minor ‘hiccups’. They have passed the test of learning to be independent without having me around.

I did not want to tag along and ended up becoming a ‘burden’ as I have such a long list of things to take care of. To begin with is my strict diet. I have been eating this typical simple diet –steam or boil fish/chicken breast with vegetables and brown rice for almost 3 years. My brain starts to reject other kinds of food. I also want to avoid been exhausted with too much walking which is not good for my health. The other issue is that after went through 2 big operations, I find difficult to control my bowel movement since then. Lastly, having to take the Chinese concoction everyday (twice) is a big obstacle and challenge for me to ever think of venturing away from home even for a day. Whatever it may be, I learnt to be contented and lived with what I have been blessed with.

1 comment:

  1. I was glad to hear about your family going to Taiwan recently for a holiday but I would be happier to know that you went along. How can this be a 'family' holiday without the most important person in the family? Surely holidays are meant for a time of family bonding before the children leave the nest and make a life of their own. I think it's time for you to try to do without some of the food and Chinese medicine you're used to. Your recent blood test should be encouraging and prompt you to make some changes to your diet. The longer you cling to your chosen diet, the harder it will be for you to forsake them - I am not asking you to eat unhealthy food, of course and put your health at risk. I am suggesting that you try to be open to other kinds of food so that YOU will have the opportunity to meet people at lunches outside and wedding dinners and more importantly to travel overseas with your family and to eat food that are of other culture. By keeping to your present diet, you may find yourself always at home or in Singapore. How then will you get to meet people and and broaden your horizons? Books and the internet may be a source of information but they are not people whom you can interact with and derive pleasure from relationships.

    ReplyDelete