Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Dr Tami Fisk

“Therefore do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day.” (2 Corinthians 4:16)

“But He knows the way that I take; when he has tested me, I will come forth as gold.” (Job 23:10)


I came to know the remarkable medical missionary works of Dr Tami Fisk recently through a prayer meeting for the missionaries. A very brilliant medical doctor who let herself to be used by God till her last days despite her terminal illness. She died at the age of 39 in March 2005. Her family started a Mission Travel Grant Fund in her name to sponsor those medically-trained individuals who need funding in travelling expenses for doing medical services in East Asia. Her story inspired and spurs many, including me, to live a fruitful and purposeful life.


More often than not, trials such as sufferings caused us to pause and reflect on the conditions of our hearts, re-orient and re-focus priorities in our lives. The choices we faced each day are: to lose the joy of living in the present when we worry what may come or take things as they come, one day at a time, trusting God for the wisdom to respond properly. I learnt through last few years that everything will come to pass, no matter how difficult the situations or circumstances may be. As christians, we can draw divine strength from God to go through them.

Below are the abridged reviews on the book about her (‘Grasping Heaven’):

“This is the heart-warming and heart-wrenching story of a remarkable young woman and the grace and power of her ever-present God. Until I read this book I had no idea of the challenges modern day missionaries face. Some of the "minor" challenges would have seemed major to me, such as the smog in China turning Dr. Tami Fisk's white blouse gray the day she arrived, the challenges of learning a language with pictographic writing and then having to learn even more after she had finished school because of the country's many dialects, and the food that one is required to eat to avoid giving offense. (Pig head, eaten skin, hair and all, fried honeybees... yuck!)

She faced many trials as a medical missionary and in her later struggle with melanoma, but through them all she lovingly served others in any way she could wherever she was. She was aware of God's leading, love, and presence with her, so she accepted these trials as ordained by Him to draw her closer to Himself and refine her faith. She genuinely loved the Yi people of the Great Cold Mountains of China, and it showed in the compassion with which she cared for their health and became "Auntie Fei" to their children.

Tami, like all of us, was God's work in progress. Her life is a challenge to all of us to embrace His refining process as she did. From the way she "fought the good fight," I'm sure that she is wearing many crowns in heaven, and the effects of her love and her short life's work are still echoing in the lives of all she touched in China and around the world.” - By Nicolette M Dumke

“Even when Tami was only 9 years old she knew that she wanted to be a missionary and a doctor serving overseas on the mission field. As she grew up and was in high school she studied and made the best grades that she could. Tami always had a Bible in her hand and a notebook nearby so that she could keep notes of anything that she thought important. After a trip to China and meeting these people she felt led to serve in China.

Before she could serve long, she had come home for a stay and that is when she found the cancer. Tami never stopped helping people and the Chinese as long as she was able. Tami had never married and used all her time in the service for God.” -by Edna Tollison

“Shortly after returning home from a 3-year overseas assignment in China, 34 year old doctor, Tami Fisk found her left ear bleeding again. It was where she had a lesion removed several years ago. A biopsy was done. It confirmed she had melanoma. There were disappointments, tears and her frustration with the medical system. How long would she have to live? Would she be able to make it through the aggressive chemotherapy? Someone told her “maybe you are not healed because of a lack of faith”. In Tami’s response we see God’s grace.

“Grasping Heaven” tells Tami’s story, her trust in God, her journey of healing, from asking “Why me” to “why not me?” Melanoma did not stop her from conducting medical research on AIDS and SARS and their cure. By 2002, she was back in Asia, working closely with Chinese authorities on medical programs, working in hospitals in Sichuan in urban and rural settings.

May I close with a quote from Joan Wales (a nurse who had lived amongst the Yi about 60 years ago) when she shared with Tami her view: “Our only task is to let God do His work through us, at any age.”In sickness and in health, whatever our age, resting on God’s promises, may we share the Good News.” -By Ng Swee Mun(a member of Wesley Methodist Church who has known Dr Fisk and the authors of the book since 1997)

Tami left us with the following beautiful poem:

Today I am healed.
Perhaps not the way you had hoped for,
Prayed for, waited for
But I'm in a glorious new body,
Free of pain, full of new strength
Free to run and dance in a place
Where God Himself wipes my tears away
Immersed in a love, joy and peace
That we have a mere taste of
During our time on earth
In the presence of my God and Savior, Jesus Christ,
Who loves me more than His own life
Know that today I am healed.

Her farewell videos can be viewed from the following link:


1 comment:

  1. I met Tami in Bangkok in 2003 when I was stationed at AFRIMS doing research of antimalarial drugs. I lived inside a huge residential compound with lots of the US ambassy families at Jangwatana. One day,Tami walked out from the next door of my townhouse, we said hi each other and chatted together. She was a very tall blond lady with shinnig eyes though her face appeared so pale and weary. To my surprised, her Chinese was so fluent, much better than my English. she told me she was in Chengdu for a year to learn language and then went to Zhaojue Xichang to be a doctor there. I was surprised again because I grew up in Chengdu and ma father was in Xichang for five years. She told me taht she was working for CDC and investigating SARS status around southeast asia countries. Aftere that, we had quite often conversation once we met in front of our houses. Unfortunately, the US Army reassigned me back to WRAIR in DC and I left Bangkok in August 2003. Since then we lost contact. Now I have been retired from military service and heard about she already passed away years ago from the book 'Grasping Heaven'. After I read the book, I realized taht she went to Zhaojie entirely due to the call of the Lord in her heart. I am deeply moved and wanted to translate this book into Chinese. I think this book should be read by Chinese people in China where gospel needs to be prevailing over all over the country.

    ReplyDelete